Jack became quite the proficient signer. By the time he started talking, he knew milk, more, please, thank you, cookie, dog, outside and more that I am forgetting. We’ll pick it up with Tommy when he’s ready.
CFLs. Screw ’em (pun intended). I recently found out about this. I remember the day that Jack broke the CFL in our family room and we certainly did not follow the EPA’s guidelines for cleaning it up. Regular bulbs for me, thankyouverymuch.
I think we can say that #38 is a big duh. The election is long since over and I voted. There.
#41: Book a spa day and go without feeling guilty. August 6, 2008
Done and done.
Last year, Jon got me a half spa day certificate to use when I just needed to unwind. I had this idea in my head that my body (shortly after giving birth to Jack) was the most hideous thing in the whole entire world and there was no way I would let anyone see it, let alone touch it. So, I said thank you to my amazing husband and put it on the back burner- until my pre-pregnancy body returned.
Well, one year later and my pre-pregnancy body had not returned. I sucked it up and headed out there (there meaning Lake Austin Spa). That place is fantastic. You check in (after being buzzed in at the gate- which was kind of weird- that it was gated. The place is in the middle of nowhere and they need a gate. Huh) and they give you a robe with flip flops, that you wear all day- even while eating lunch. I started w/ a lemongrass “pick me up” massage (full body, even the hiney), followed by a upper leg/ bikini wax. Nothing like having a wax done to jerk you out of the “pick me up.” I then had a manicure and a light lunch (which was really hard to eat without dropping it in my robe).
Between treatments, I was able to lounge in the sauna (dry or wet), sit and read in the jacuzzi and dry off under the sun.
The key was to not feel guilty about going. The day was supposed to be all about me. I thought that would be the hard part, but it was soooo easy to let my worries just melt away. I came home to my boys who had also had a great day . Success.
#41: Attend Nestie Bookclub, having read the book. August 1, 2008
Done. Twice. Annnd, I’m hosting the next meeting. How’s that for going above and beyond.
I won’t comment on the books. Scratch that, I will, but not a lot. We read Devil in White City, followed by Under the Banner of Heaven. This month is Friday Night Knitting Club.
The first two were hard reads for me. Devil in White City is not a genre I enjoy. There were some neat tidbits in there, but overall, I give it an “eh.”
Under the Banner of Heaven. Wow. Just wow. I’m glad I was born into the family I was.
My fave parts about book club? I get to hang with some great women (and eat great food). Some folks I know better than others. There are a couple girls I have gotten to meet (mainly through book club) who are really fantastic and I can’t wait to get to know them better (gah- that sounded like an online dating ad).
It’s in the books. Done. It’s been done, I just didn’t write about it. It was great to start off each morning walking with Jon. We got some great talking in.
My next challenge is to complete a 5K. And thennnnn, to complete a 1/2 marathon. Mind you, I didn’t say run (or even jog). I said “complete.”
There, I said it. Now, I just need to do it.
- WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? The first born daughter (of the first born daughter, of the first born daughter) is always named Mary. I used to think I would name my (future) daughter Mary Quincy. I have since changed my mind and will call her (if I have one) Sara Jones, named after my paternal grandmother (gasp).
- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? I cry when I think of the small moments that my FIL has missed. Most recently, it was up in the mountains. We (my husband’s aunt and I) were sitting by the lake and talking about him…it wasn’t a full cry, but I certainly teared up.
- DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Love it. I’m a former teacher, but my handwriting changed (for the better) while I lived in England. I think it has a unique style and I get compliments on its legibility.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Smoked turkey (with pesto cheese and tomato on a panini, please).
- DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Yep, Jack’s my boy.
- IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS
WITH YOU? Honestly, I don’t know. If I were another person and had my same personality- maybe not. We would probably butt heads all the time.
- DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Yes (hanging head). I pride myself on my quick tongue.
- DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? Yep. I can also say that I have never had strep throat.
- WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? I would if it were free. If not, there are other things I would spend my money on.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? When I was a kid, I was only allowed to eat boring cereals (except when I was at Grandma’s house…that’s probably why she is having a future child named for her). I really should head to the HEB and buy a sampling of Count Chocula, Trix, Lucky Charms (ooohhhh, those marshmellows used to taunt me). The cereal I eat, day to day, is Special K w/ red berries.
- DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE them off? No and I don’t untie them to put them back on, either.
- DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Yes. I used to be stronger, though.
- WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Anything with sweet bits. Brownie bits, cookie dough bits, fudge bits. No mint, please.
- WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? If they are real funny, fake funny, real nice or fake nice. I can’t stand it when people try to be funny but they aren’t. When they force it on my, pleh. Same thing goes for fake nice.
- RED OR PINK? Neither. Is that cheating? If I haaaaad to pick, it would be red, but I would probably cross my arms over my chest and say, “red,” the same way my brother used to say, “sor-ry.”
- WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? I have gotten so damn fat. It’s ridiculous. I’m working on it, though.
- WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? Sarah. She’s still around, but too far away to see her every day and I miss her.
- DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? I stole this from joyco (who stole it from mrsmillertime). Go ahead…steal it. You know you wanna.
- WHAT COLOR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? The see through, barefoot kind. I did have on some brown flip flops earlier.
- WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? A Nilla Wafer.
- WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? Crickets on a baby monitor.
- IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? Some shade of green. I’m too lazy to go look.
- FAVORITE SMELLS? Burning leaves and baking bread.
- WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Jon, the hub.
- DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Again, I stole it. Let me repeat that for anyone who didn’t catch that I saw this on Joyco’s blog and I STOLE IT. Truth be told, I stalk her blog. I think she’s hilarious and wish her nothing but the best in life. I think we would get along in real life, but she might not think to highly of my pearly whites (which aren’t too pearly nor white).
- FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Hokie football. I get crazy while watching my team.
- Hair Color? Brown w/ a streak of grey.
- EYE COLOR? blue.
- DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? 20/20
- FAVORITE FOOD? Chuychenga.
- SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? happy endings, with tons of sap.
- LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Charlie Wilson’s War
- WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Navy blue.
- HUGS OR KISSES? I give high fives over hugs.
- FAVORITE DESSERT? anything warm and chocolaty.
- MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? I don’t think anyone is reading this. I’ve been such a slacker about posting. I’m lame. I’ll admit it.
- LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND See 36.
- WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? Wicked. I hate it. I wish it were more about the Wizard of Oz from the Witch’s p.o.v. It’s not. Although, I found it hilarious that ****SPOILER**** the wicked witch’s mom was a dirty, dirty whore.
- WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? don’t have one.
- WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? So You Think You Can Dance and Arrested Development (on DVD)
- FAVORITE SOUND? A key going into a lock. I like the sound of the tumblers- especially car keys.
- ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles. Hands down. Easiest question on the list.
- WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? I think England, but I don’t know how many miles that is from DC. Is California further? Oh, I’ve been to mainland Europe, so that’s futher. Ok, I’ve got it, the furthest I have been is on the western edge of Africa.
- DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? I can play the oboe.
- WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Columbia, South Carolina
- WHOSE ANSWERS ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING BACK? Everyones!